This will definitely be running a list because I’m almost certain I have forgotten some. Here’s a list of some of my favorite books I read as a child.
- A Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats Age 7 As stated in another post, I enjoyed this book mostly because it was the first book I encountered in which the characters were people of color. I think it is really important that children see themselves and their culture represented in story books. The story becomes more relevant and reliable.
- The Babysitter’s Club by Ann Martin Age 9 This was my first completed series. I remember pulling these books out to read, after having completed an assignment in class, and comparing page numbers with my friends. These books were so engaging and fun. I also enjoyed the movie adaptations.
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett Age 10 One day my mother grounded me, I had to stay in my room for the latter part of the day. It was a Saturday, I had gotten a new library book on Friday. I read the entire book that day and enjoyed every minute– best punishment ever!
- Goosebumps (series) by R.L. Stein Age 10 and up These books had just the right amount of creepy I needed. I could read them just before bed and would not experience nightmares. The stories were very cool and would leave me with “goosebumps”.
- Sweet Valley High (series) by Francine Pascal Age 9 This series was just as satisfying and popular among my friends and me as The Babysitter’s Club series. I remember being so disappointed after I realized that I had read the last installment. This series had love, friendship and high school drama — everything. What were some of your (childhood) favorite books? Have you read any other the titles on my list, if so what did you think?