10 Cool Facts About Cleopatra
Guess who I decided to dress as for Halloween? Yep! Cleopatra. Here are 10 cool facts I found about her (the word facts is used loosely because there are so many theories about what things were like many, many years ago. I can’t prove anything so don’t hold me to it).
1. Her full name was Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator.
2. She was bestowed the Egyptian throne at the age of 18 along with her brother Ptolemy, age 10.
3. She was the inspiration to many Shakespearean works.
4. She was not Egyptian. She was born in Alexandria and was part of a long line of Greek Macedonians.
5. She spoke at least nine languages.
6. She was the mistress and perhaps wife of Julius Caesar. She later married Mark Antony after having wed her two brothers.
7. Cleopatra, as well as most Egyptian men and women, wore make up made from herbs as a healing agent.
8. Contrary to popular belief, she was not very beautiful. Pictures of her depicted on coins depict a woman with a hooded nose and masculine features.
9. Cleopatra died at the age of 39. Dressed in all her fine jewels and linens, she committed suicide using as asp (poisonous snake).
10. Cleopatra was the last pharaoh of Egypt. Rome took control after her death, but she is still highly revered today.
Who were you for Halloween?
Recommended material about Cleopatra:
Book – Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff (fiction)
Video – “Cleopatra” starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Directed by Joseph L. ManKiewicz (1963)